St. Patrick’s Day Coffee Recipes Enjoy these recipes by Master Barista Giorgio Milos to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, March 17th 2014
Giorgio Milos is Specialty Coffee Association of Europe-certified Trainer and Master Barista, Italian Barista Champion and top World Barista Championship contender, and now illy’s North American Barista in Residence . A true barista’s work starts with understanding how coffee grows, then applying a scientist’s curiosity to the complex chain of chemical reactions and variables that create pleasure in the cup.
Caffe Mocha with Menta Panna
illy espresso with warm chocolate milk, topped with a heavy peppermint cream.
Ingredients: illy espresso, chocolate sauce, fresh cold milk, peppermint syrup, heavy whipping cream. Optional: cocoa powder or fresh mint leaves
1. Prepare 2 oz (60 cc) espresso into a 3 oz pour pitcher
2. Mix 1 oz (30 cc) chocolate sauce and 8 oz (240 cc) fresh, cold, milk into a small steaming pitcher
3. Steam chocolate sauce and milk using the steam wand on the espresso machine.
4. Pour espresso into serving glass.
5. Fill the glass with warm chocolate milk, holding back any froth.
6. In a small bowl or mixing cup add 2/3 oz (20 cc) peppermint syrup and 3 oz (90 cc) heavy cream. Lightly whip, being sure to maintain the liquid form.
7. Starting at the edge of the glass slowly pour/float 3 oz (90 cc) heavy peppermint cream on top of the coffee.
8. Optional: Drink can be garnished with a dusting of cocoa powder or fresh mint leaves.
Espresso Cremosa Cocktail with Irish Cream
Illy espresso shaken with ice, vodka, coffee liqueur and Irish cream, strained into a cocktail glass and topped with heavy cream.
Ingredients: illy espresso, ice, vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, heavy cream
1. Fill a cocktail shaker 1/2 full with ice.
2. Prepare 1 oz (30 cc) espresso and add to ice.
3. Add 1 1/2 oz (45 cc) vodka.
4. Add 1/2 oz (15 cc) coffee liqueur.
5. Add 1 oz (30 cc) Irish cream.
6. Shake vigorously several times in a back and forth motion.
7. Strain into a cocktail glass.
8. Starting at the edge of the glass slowly pour/float 1 oz heavy cream on top of the coffee
Lavender Mint Latte
For a minty treat, enjoy illy espresso with warm frothy milk and hints of lavender and mint.
Ingredients: illy espresso, fresh, cold whole milk, lavender syrup, peppermint syrup
1. Prepare 2 oz or 60 cc (2 shots) espresso in a 3 oz pour pitcher.
2. Pour into serving glass.
3. Add 5 oz (150 cc) of cold whole milk, 3⁄4 oz (25 cc) lavender syrup and 2⁄3 oz (20 cc) peppermint syrup into a steaming pitcher.
4. Steam and froth.
5. Pour milk over coffee, holding back froth until glass is filled 1″ (2.5 cm) from top.
6. Top with a thin layer of froth, about 1″ (2.5 cm).
Optional: Garnish with a mint leaf.
illy’s Irish Coffee
Illy created this recipe 14 years ago in Italy and it has been a festive favorite served in many of their cafes. Irish coffee is made using illy espresso lightly sweetened with raw sugar, gently stirred into warm Irish whiskey, finished with lightly whipped cream and a dash of cocoa powder.
Ingredients: illy espresso, Irish whisky, granulated sugar, heavy cream, coffee beans, cocoa beans & cocoa powder 6 oz (180 cc) FREDDO GLASS
1. In a small steaming pitcher, add 1 1/2 oz (45 cc) Irish whiskey.
2. Add 2 tsp granulated sugar.
3. Heat the liqueur and sugar for a few seconds using the steam wand on the espresso machine. Pour into serving glass.
4. Prepare 2 oz (60 cc) espresso and add to serving glass. Gently stir.
5. In a small bowl or mixing cup add 2 oz (60 cc) heavy cream. Lightly whip so that it is still a liquid.
6. Starting at the edge of the glass slowly pour/float 2oz (60 cc) heavy cream on top of the coffee.
7. Garnish with two coffee beans and a dusting of cocoa powder.